In this edition of Fast Five on Friday, you will find articles on the following:
- August 8th SB 97 Celebration at the Capitol – (For districts passing a policy raising the compulsory school age to 18 and certifying this in ASSIST)
- Superintendents’ Summit on September 5 – (Remember to register with Thelma Whiteside)
- Current Evaluation Training Requirements Update and PGES Principal Certification
- CIITS poster
- USED Opens 2013 Race to the Top-District Competition
- Correction: Clarification on the Professional Growth and Effectiveness System (PGES) Implementation Timeline
- August 7-8 KBE Meeting
- Results of the Interactive Survey from the July 25th Superintendents’ Webcast
- Commissioner’s Blog
Fast Five on Friday
August 8th SB 97 Celebration at the Capitol
– The superintendents and board chairs of those districts passing a policy raising the compulsory school age to 18 and submitting all required documentation into ASSIST are invited to attend a recognition event on the afternoon of August 8 at the Capitol rotunda in Frankfort
. This includes all districts that have completed or will complete these steps between now and August 8.
Letters went out from the Governor’s office; however, we are finding some of you who qualify for this event are not sure you received the letter. Please consider this as your official invitation on behalf of Governor Steve Beshear, First Lady Jane Beshear and myself if you are in the group of 113 districts that have passed a policy.The superintendents and board chairs of these districts are asked to arrive at the Capitol on August 8 by 1:00 p.m. and check-in at Room 110 on the main floor
. There you will receive further instructions for the event. It will include a group picture, recognition of districts/press conference and a reception in honor of school districts. We have been calling those districts that have passed a policy and been certified through ASSIST to confirm attendance and hope to see many of you on August 8th for this celebration.
If you have any questions about this, contact Susan Palmer at (502) 564-3141
, Ext. 4805 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
Superintendents’ Summit on September 5th
– Just a reminder to register for the September 5th Superintendents’ Summit. Please make sure you register your attendance by e-mailing Thelma Whiteside at Thelma.Whiteside@education.ky.gov
or calling her at (502) 564 – 2106 by Aug. 19.The date is September 5th from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. ET in the Ballroom of the Capital Plaza Hotel in Frankfort
. Lunch will be provided. The topics will include the Kentucky School Boards Insurance Trust (KSBIT), meeting delivery targets, and budget.
Contact Mary Ann Miller at (502) 564-3141
if you have questions about the Summit.Current Evaluation Training Requirements Update and PGES Principal Certification
- During the 2013-2014 academic school year, all district and school personnel remain accountable to the current evaluation processes established by your respective district evaluation plan unless the plan has been submitted to KDE reflecting changes that have been made and approved by local boards.
During the 2013-2014 Professional Growth and Effectiveness System (PGES) pilot implementation, pilot principals (at a minimum) are required to pass the Teachscape Proficiency training prior to observing teachers. There is no set requirement that every principal in a district take the Teachscape Proficiency training. However, there are several districts doing so to focus on quality in observations related to traditional evaluation procedures.
This training requirement for the pilot implementation of the Teacher Professional Growth and Effectiveness System (TPGES) does not replace any current regulatory requirements for evaluation systems. Therefore, until the Kentucky Board of Education and Kentucky Department of Education have approved all regulatory expectations for the implementation of TPGES, districts/schools are held accountable to the current requirements. If a district chooses to count the proficiency on-line training as their update training, this is allowable.
If you have questions on this matter, contact Felicia Smith at (502) 564-9850
, Ext. 4151.
is a Continuous Instructional Improvement Technology System (CIITS) poster that was recently created by Covington Independent and features one of their third grade teachers, Tiffany Powell. It is designed to promote the use of CIITS and I thought the idea might be useful to you. USED Opens 2013 Race to the Top-District Competition
- The United States Department of Education has finalized the application for the 2013 Race to the Top-District competition, which will provide nearly $120 million to support bold, locally directed improvements in learning and teaching that will directly improve student achievement and educator effectiveness.
Read more about Race to the Top-District and how to apply
.Correction: Clarification on the Professional Growth and Effectiveness System (PGES) Implementation Timeline
- In Monday’s Superintendent E-mail
, there was a brief about PGES and the language used to describe each year of implementation in accordance with our Elementary and Secondary Education Act waiver on Principal 3 – Teacher and Principal Evaluation System. Here are the corrected
descriptions that currently apply to both the teacher and principal systems per flexibility that we have requested with USED:
• 2013-14 -Statewide pilot
using the system with a minimum number of participants in each
• 2014-15 - Full Statewide implementation
without consequences (no use of the system for
• 2015-16 - Full Statewide implementation with consequences
(use the system to make
Note, this is a change from what our original plan was and delays full implementation for use of personnel decisions one year thanks to additional flexibility offered by USED for which we have applied. Please use these descriptions and timeline as we move forward. We will keep you updated as we hear from USED on this request but are optimistic that it will be granted.August 7-8 KBE Meeting
– The Kentucky Board of Education will meet in Frankfort to hold its annual retreat on Aug. 7th and its regular meeting on Aug. 8th. To access the agenda and materials for the meeting, click on the following link: http://portal.ksba.org/public/Agency.aspx?PublicAgencyID=4388&AgencyTypeID=1
Results of the Interactive Survey from the July 25th Superintendents’ Webcast
are the results of the questions from the interactive survey conducted during the July 25th Superintendents’ Webcast. A written Q & A from that webcast will be included in next week’s Fast Five.
If you have questions on any of the articles included in this edition of Fast Five, please contact me at the e-mail address or phone number found below.