In this edition of Fast Five on Friday, you will find articles on the following:
- Yesterday’s Recognition of Superintendents and Local Board Chairs at SB 97/Blitz to 96 Event (Attachment)
- Q & A from the July 25th Superintendents’ Webcast and SAC meeting (3 attachments)
- Next Superintendents’ Webcast on August 27th
- September 5th Superintendents’ Summit (See article below for how to register by Aug. 19.)
- Commissioner’s Blog This Week
Fast Five on Friday
Yesterday’s Recognition of Superintendents and Local Board Chairs at SB 97/Blitz to 96 Event – Yesterday afternoon at the Capitol rotunda in Frankfort, Governor Steve Beshear, First Lady Jane Beshear and I had the honor of recognizing the 120 districts that have passed a policy raising the compulsory school age to 18 and submitted all documentation to KDE. Many of you and your board chairs attended the ceremony to be commended for quickly taking action to meet the requirements of SB 97. I truly appreciate your attendance at the event and thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to come to Frankfort. It was great being able to publicly give you the accolades that you deserve for taking this courageous step. You will be sent a copy of the individual pictures that were made at the event.
For those who were unable to attend, your certificate will be sent to you. I understand that some schools were starting this week and it was difficult for you to get away. However, I still appreciate the quick response that you made to this initiative.
The updated map showing the 120 districts that have fully complied with SB 97 is attached
Q & A from the July 25th Superintendents’ Webcast and SAC meeting
(second document) is a Question and Answer document providing responses to the questions that were asked during the July 25th Superintendents’ Webcast and July 25th Superintendents Advisory Council meeting. Also, the third and fourth attachments
are referenced within the Q & A document.
Next Superintendents’ Webcast on August 27th – Please put August 27th on your calendars for the next superintendents’ webcast. It will occur from 3:00 to 4:00 p.m. ET with the topics being K-PREP Assessment Timeline and ASPIRE Timeline, Superintendent Evaluation Process Update, CSIP/CDIP Update and High Speed Network Update.
September 5th Superintendents’ Summit
– The Superintendents’ Summit is quickly approaching. Remember to register for the Summit by contacting Thelma Whiteside at Thelma.Whiteside@education.ky.gov
or calling her at (502) 564 – 2106 by Aug. 19
The date is September 5th from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. ET in the Ballroom of the Capital Plaza Hotel in Frankfort. Lunch will be provided. The topics will include the Kentucky School Boards Insurance Trust (KSBIT), meeting delivery targets, and budget.
Remember this is only for superintendents, or if you cannot attend, for one designee.
Commissioner’s Blog This Week
– My blog this week is titled “What now?” and features the text of a speech made by Associate Commissioner Susan Allred addressing the work that has to occur now in those districts that have adopted the policy raising the compulsory school age to 18. It can be found at the following link: http://kyedcommissioner.blogspot.com/2013/08/what-now.html
If you have questions on any of the articles included in this edition of Fast Five, please contact me at the e-mail address or phone number found below.
Terry Holliday, Ph.D.
Commissioner of Education
Kentucky Department of Education