In this edition of Fast Five on Friday, you will find articles on the following:
- Professional Growth and Effectiveness System Web-Based Collection Tool
- Learning Forward Report: Seizing the Moment
- Next Superintendents’ Webcast
- Commissioner’s Blog on Work of Kentucky’s Teachers
Fast Five on Friday
(Four this Week)
Professional Growth and Effectiveness System (PGES) Web-Based Data Collection Tool - In preparation for the 2013-14 statewide pilot of the Professional Growth and Effectiveness System (PGES), the Kentucky Department of Education will be using a web-based data collection tool for gathering participant information. Administrators at ten percent or more of the schools in each district must select teachers to participate per the required configuration of teachers that is outlined in the attached document. Once a determination is made about who will take part, an administrator at each participating school will need to log in to the web-collector tool to submit the names of those teachers who will be participating in the pilot.
Additional schools are encouraged to participate in the pilot. Any number/configuration of teachers in the “additional schools” can be identified to participate in the statewide pilot. This information must be added to the tool as well.
Participating teachers should not be in their evaluation year during the 2013-14 school year.
As superintendent, we ask that you please complete the following:
1. Forward the PowerPoint, available here
, to your web security administrator. Your Web Security Administrator will provide the necessary rights to the administrator in each participating pilot school to input information into the web collection tool.
2. Forward the school directions, available here
, to the administrator in the participating schools in order to have the administrator log into the web collector to identify the pilot participants.
3. Ensure that one member of central office is identified to complete the district section on the web collector in order to identify who may participate as a Peer Observer or Principal Evaluator in the PGES pilot. As the superintendent, you may choose to do this. Please see attached here
the district directions document.
Note: The attachments for the school and district documents have been updated to provide additional clarity.
All pilot participant information must be submitted through the Web tool by Friday, June 28th.
Learning Forward--State Lessons for Transforming Professional Learning
- Learning Forward has produced a brief but comprehensive report about the roles of schools, districts, and state education agencies in creating and sustaining coherent and comprehensive professional learning. The report, which is availablehere
, highlights Kentucky’s collaboration with key stakeholders, shares eight important lessons that we have learned, and concludes that the transformative changes we are making are complex, but full of promise and opportunity.
Next Superintendents’ Webcast on May 31, 2-3 p.m. ET
– Just a reminder that the next superintendents’ webcast is May 31 from 2-3 p.m. ET. Several topics have now been identified including maximizing the flexibility offered by Kentucky’s ESEA waiver, online testing, and the Kentucky Core Academic Standards Fact Sheet. The previously identified topic of technology broadband upgrade has been postponed to a future webcast. As is customary during the broadcast, please e-mail questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
We will record the session for those who cannot watch it live and the materials and link for the webcast will be forwarded to you closer to time for the actual broadcast.
If you have questions on any of the articles included in this edition of Fast Five, please contact me at the e-mail address or phone number found below.