In this edition of Fast Five on Friday, you will find articles on the following:
- KDE Applying for Extension of Waiver on Period of Availability for FY 2009 SIG Funds – Feedback requested (Attachment)
- Letter to Local Board Chairs Regarding Website Data Collection on Superintendents’ Contracts and Benefits Information (Attachment)
- Next Superintendents Webcast
- KBE to Meet on June 5
- Commissioner’s Blog on Global Competition and Summer Reading
Fast Five on Friday
KDE Applying for Extension of Waiver on Period of Availability for FY 2009 SIG Funds -
In response to the attached
invitation from the U.S. Department of Education (USED), KDE is submitting a letter to request an extension of the waiver regarding the period of availability for FY 2009 School Improvement Grant funds made available under Section 1003(g) of the Elementary and Secondary Act of 2001.
The U.S. Department of Education made this invitation because of the following factors: 1) there were significant funds made available under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 and 2) the delay in receiving awards for implementation during the 2010-2011 school year, in effect, caused a delay in spending at the district level. Consequently, eligible schools may need additional time to expend their FY 2009 funds.
KDE is requesting any feedback that you may have on the submission of this request by June 7
. Comments may be e-mailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Those districts eligible to request the waiver from KDE, should the application be approved by USED, are: Jefferson, Caverna, Metcalfe, Lawrence, and Leslie.
Letter to Local Board Chairs Regarding Website Data Collection on Superintendents’ Contracts and Benefits Information
is a letter to local board chairs that provides initial guidance about how KDE will collect and report superintendent contract and benefit information. As you may be aware, each superintendent’s salary information is currently available on the KDE website. However, additional detail on contracts and benefits has to be obtained through individual open record requests to each school district. A single KDE website location for such information will reduce the number of individual requests to each school district, provide easily accessible data to the public at one location, and promote public transparency.
Superintendents are copied on the letter and board chairs should make sure they read its content so that the information is submitted on time as requested.
Next Superintendents’ Webcast on June 19, 11:00 a.m.-12:00 noon ET
– Just a reminder that the next superintendents’ webcast will be held June 19 from 11:00 a.m.-12:00 noon ET. If you have topics you would like to see covered, e-mail them to email@example.com
We will record the session for those who cannot watch it live and the materials and link for the webcast will be forwarded to you closer to time for the actual broadcast.
KBE to Meet on June 5
– The Kentucky Board of Education will meet on June 5 in Frankfort. Highlights of the meeting include consideration to approve the new science standards, Districts of Innovation and a resolution in support of Senate Bill 1 and the Kentucky Core Academic Standards. You can see the agenda and materials for the meeting at the following link: http://portal.ksba.org/public/Agency.aspx?PublicAgencyID=4388&AgencyTypeID=1
. Commissioner’s Blog on Global Competition and Summer Reading
– For my thoughts about global competition, and some summer reading suggestions, check out this week’s blog. You can find the blog by clicking here
If you have questions on any of the articles included in this edition of Fast Five, please contact me at the e-mail address or phone number found below.