You will learn the risks and consequences of using tobacco products, especially the effects of tobacco use on the cardiovascular system. Students will practice making decisions that contribute to a healthy lifestyle.
2.29 Students demonstrate skills that promote individual well-being and healthy family relationships.
2.30 Students evaluate consumer products or services and make effective consumer decisions.
2.31 Students demonstrate the knowledge and skills they need to remain physically healthy and to accept responsibility for their own physical well-being.
2.33 Students demonstrate the skills to evaluate and use services and resources available in their community.
- Personal safety strategies (when to say "NO")
- Media and advertising techniques
- Positive and negative consequences of choices and actions
- Risks of nonmedicinal drugs (e.g., nicotine)
- Decision-making strategies
- Physical, emotional, and social changes that are a normal part of growth and development
Smoking is not for me
- How does tobacco use affect my risk for cardiovascular disease?
- What influences people to use or not use tobacco?
In a group, write and perform a skit illustrating structures and functions of the cardiovascular system in a person who smokes and in a person who does not smoke. Present skit to other fourth and fifth-grade classes.