Why Language Learning is Important.docx
The Kentucky Standard for World Languages Proficiency document is based on the LinguaFolio Can Do statements and is comprised of:
six core competencies--three linguistic and three intercultural,
learning indicators, and
sample learning targets.
The document is based on the beliefs that:
• Everyone can learn a language, but everyone learns at a different pace, in different ways and for different purposes.
• Students need to take ownership of & responsibility for their own learning.
• Learning occurs when what is learned has meaning to the learner.
• Goal setting & self-assessment increase motivation and improve achievement.
• Standards, benchmarks, indicators and targets are meant to guide learning & should be shared with learners.
• Functional use of the language in appropriate intercultural contexts is the prime objective.
• A teacher’s role is to guide learning, provide language learning opportunities & resources and enable learners to set goals and know if they’ve met them.
• Assessment for learning and of language learning should be designed so that the learner can show s/he demonstrates the benchmark/target.
• Credit should be based on performance and awarded when the targeted proficiency or benchmark is met.
2013 Kentucky Standard for World Languages Proficiency
Kentucky Standard for World Language Proficiency
The complete Kentucky Standard for World Language Proficiency document with narrative and standards for both language and intercultural competencies
The Complete Kentucky Standard for World Language Proficiency narrative only
Q & A on Use of Electronic or Computer-based Language Learning
Q and A on Use of Rosetta Stone.docx
World Languages Program Review (draft)