The holiday season is in full swing, and the end of the year is quickly approaching. As you’re making last-minute preparations to be away from the office, here are a few items to check before you leave with laptop in tow...
Making a list and checking it twice
· If you’d like to work on a document that’s stored on your personal network drive but you’re not sure if you’ll have Internet access while you’re away, think about putting a copy of the desired file on your laptop before you leave. Doing so will allow you to access the file(s) offline. Just remember to move a copy back to the network when you have Internet connectivity or return to the office. This is only advised for your personal documents and not documents you may be sharing with other team members on a shared network drive.
· Be sure to test your VPN connection to ensure it’s working properly.
· Double check that your power cord is in your laptop bag.
· If you’ve been prompted to change your password in the past few days and you’ve been putting it off, be sure you reset it before you leave. If your password expires while you’re out of the office, you’ll have to call the Service Desk to have it reset.
· If you plan to use the Internet at home or on the road and don’t plan to use the VPN, be sure that you know how to disable and enable the proxy in Internet Explorer.
Holiday fact – U.S. scientists calculated that Santa would have to visit 822 homes a second to deliver all the world’s presents on Christmas Eve, travelling at 650 miles a second. His guide, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, was invented for a U.S. firm’s Christmas promotion in 1938.
To provide feedback or submit a technical topic/question you’d like to see addressed, please send e-mails to email@example.com