AP for Administrators and AP Coordinators
4/27/2017 8:45 AM
Information for administrators and AP coordinators, including test fee information, resources for your AP program, and other helpful information.
Recorded Webinar- AP Test Fee Invoicing- April 26, 2017 3:00 pm
2017 AP Test Fee Update
Knowing the federal funding was not going to be available for the 2016-17 school year and in order to avoid shifting these costs to districts, KDE was able to plan and budget for these exam fees, and will pay the $53 fee for each AP exam taken by students eligible for FRL during the 2016-17 school year. For this to occur, your guidance counselors must determine which students meet the FRL eligibility requirements and enroll those students in the fee reduction program. I ask that you make this a priority to provide these students with equal access to AP courses.
Based on the number of AP exams each school orders for eligible FRL students beginning in January 2017, the balance will be paid by the KDE in hope that schools will continue to provide Kentucky’s FRL students with the opportunity to take rigorous AP courses that prepare them to excel in their future college and career choices.
A student is eligible for the AP Exam Fee Waiver if the student:
- qualifies for free or reduced lunch, AND
- was enrolled in the AP class for the 2016-2017 school year.
What the School Must Do
- Fill in the "Option 1" oval on qualifying students' AP Exam answer sheets.
- When generating your invoice online, enter the total number of exams (not students) that qualify for the fee reduction.
- Maintain a list of students who qualify for and use the AP Exam Fee Reduction; record each individual exam that the student is taking. Ensure that each student is eligible for free or reduced lunch, and was enrolled in the corresponding AP class(es). This list must be kept on file at the school or district in the event that KDE would be audited.
- All public high schools in Kentucky will collect NO MONEY for AP Exam fees from students qualifying for the College Board fee reduction. The College Board will bill KDE directly for qualifying students' AP Exam fees.
Regulation 702 KAR 3:220 KDE's interpretation of Regulation 702 KAR 3:220 is that the Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) exam fees fall within the fee categories described in this regulation. As such, these fees are to be waived by the district for students who are eligible for free OR reduced price lunch. Therefore, districts should not be collecting any amount of the fee from these students and instead paying the amount, after the federal grant funds are applied, from general funds just like they do for other fees required to be waived for these students by this regulation.
KRS 160.348 (3) While this statute requires costs of the AP examinations to be “… paid by” the KDE, the General Assembly has not provided an appropriation to provide the funding for this statute.