The Kentucky Department of Education (KDE), Office of Next-Generation Learners (ONGL) in Frankfort (Franklin County), has an opening for a KBE/KDE Associate Commissioner.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the administrative direction of the Commissioner of Education the Associate Commissioner for the Office of Next-Generation Learners will:
• Align office vision and mission for ONGL with the KBE established vision and mission and maintain processes to provide oversight, direction and management to office/division staff in Division of Program Standards, Division of Next Generation Professionals, and the Division of Learning Services, including oversight and management of the Kentucky School for the Blind and the Kentucky School for the Deaf. The ONGL is responsible for designing and implementing professional development for educators on various programs. The academic standards and graduation requirements are generated from and administered by this office. Specific programs include but are not limited to: all content areas, extended school services, gifted and talented education, textbook adoption, limited English proficiency, library/media, instructional technology, school readiness, state No Child Left Behind waiver requirements, and Title II, and the teacher and principal Professional Growth and Effectiveness System (PGES).
• Collaborate with other agency offices to deliver on Kentucky Board of Education. Goals with leadership in Closing the Achievement Gap and related processes.
• Serve as member of the Commissioner of Education’s planning committee.
• Collaborate with local school districts, universities and other organizations in regard to school curriculum, minority recruitment, and educator effectiveness.
• Regularly report to the Commissioner of Education.
• Collaborate with other agency offices to deploy state approach to state management and state assistance identified in state statute.
• Administer personnel policies, prepare, monitor and submit budgets to assure expenditures remain within approve limits.
• Coordinate with finance, writing and deployment of vendor contracts as required.
• Provide leadership on legislative and Kentucky Board of Education initiatives.
• Assist legal with developing policies and regulations as necessary.
• Develop and deploy regular leadership communication channels through the office for effectiveness and efficiency.
• Perform other responsibilities assigned by The Commissioner of Education.
Applicants must be a graduate of college or university with at least a Master’s Degree in related field, be a regular technology solution user, possess at least 4 years in an administrative role and a total of 10 years’ experience in education.
• Successful experience in district and/or school administration
• Demonstrated evidence of implementation of initiatives related to district/school improvement
• Strong facilitation skills
• Experience in managing personnel and budgets
• Strong knowledge and understanding of standards-based instruction, assessment, and state and national content standards
• Strong knowledge and understanding of systems to support professional growth and effectiveness of educators
Applicants and employees in this classification may be required to submit to a drug screening test and background check.
In accordance with KRS 161.220 the applicant selected for this position will become a member of the Kentucky Teacher’s Retirement System.
The salary for this position is competitive and will be commensurate with education and experience of the successful candidate.
NOTE: TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION,
applicants must complete an application via the Career Opportunities System (COS), submit their application, resume, and letter of interest directly to: Angela Smith, Division of Resource Management, 500 Mero Street, 16th Floor, Capital Plaza Tower, Frankfort, KY 40601; fax: 502-564-3611. Email: Angela.Smith@education.ky.gov
This position will be posted until filled. This position is not subject to restrictions under KRS Chapter 18A. This is a KBE/KDE Unclassified position subject to the authority of the Kentucky Board of Education. First-round interviews are forthcoming from the applications received thus far. If a successful candidate is not selected, subsequent applications will be reviewed and additional interviews shall be conducted.
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer M/F/D