This web page offers resources and informational links regarding Safe and Drug-Free Schools. This page also will spotlight Safe and Drug-Free School initiatives within Kentucky schools and districts.
The United States Department of Education, Office of Safe and Healthy Students administers, coordinates, and recommends policy for improving the quality and excellence of programs and activities that are designed to:
- Provide financial assistance for: drug and violence prevention activities; activities that promote the health and well-being of students in elementary and secondary schools, and institutions of higher education; and school-preparedness activities that contribute to improved conditions for learning. Activities may be carried out by other federal agencies, state and local educational agencies, and other public and private nonprofit organizations.
- Participate in the formulation and development of education program policy and legislative proposals and in overall administration policies related to violence and drug prevention; draft program regulations.
- Participate in interagency committees, groups, and partnerships related to: drug and violence prevention, school preparedness; homeland security; missing and exploited youth, trafficked youth, and school health.
- Participate with other federal agencies in the development of a national research and data collection agenda for drug and violence prevention and preparedness.
- Administer the Department's programs relating to citizenship and civics education.
The National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse (CASA) is a national organization that works to bring together under one roof all the professional disciplines needed to combat abuse of all substances—alcohol, tobacco and illegal, prescription and performance-enhancing drugs—in all sectors of society.
This guide is designed to provide important research-based concepts and information to further efforts to develop and carry out effective drug abuse prevention programs.
The Kentucky Center for School Safety
serves as the central point for data analysis, research, and dissemination of information about successful school safety programs, research results, and new programs. This information is broken out into specific reports which can be found at this location. The KCSS website also contains The Emergency Management Resource Guide
, designed to be used during the planning stage both at the school and district levels. The Emergency Management Resource Guide
assists districts in creating, reviewing, or updating their school's emergency and crisis response plan.
SAMHSA (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration)
provides leadership and devotes its resources - programs, policies, information and data, contracts and grants - toward helping the nation act on the following knowledge that: behavioral health is essential for health; prevention works; treatment is effective; and people recover from mental and substance use disorders. To accomplish its work, SAMHSA administers a combination of competitive, formula, and block grant programs and data collection activities. The National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information (NCADI) is the information service of the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration's (SAMHSA) Center for Substance Abuse Prevention (CSAP.) NCADI is the world's largest resource for current information and materials concerning substance abuse.