The SPGES Example Process is a suggested guide for a local district board of education to use in the implementation of the Superintendent Leadership Plan and the Summative Document as part of the annual evaluation of its superintendent. The suggested process emphasizes:
- reflection by both the superintendent and the board on the current behaviors/practices of the superintendent on each of the standards
- formative identification of areas of competency as well as areas for growth and improvement by the board and the superintendent early in the year/process
- establishment of targeted area(s) to emphasize in the current Superintendent Professional Growth Plan
- collection of evidence by the superintendent so that at the end of the evaluation cycle, the superintendent can demonstrate to the board how he/she has worked toward continuous improvement in the areas of emphasis
- consideration by the board as a whole of the evidences provided by the superintendent in the annual performance evaluation according to the local schedule
The Superintendent Leadership Plan includes a description of each of the seven standards and indicators that can be matched to a performance level based on current superintendent behaviors and practices. This document can be used for reflection by the superintendent and board member(s) prior to coming together to compare perceptions of superintendent competency in the standards. It also can be used to capture targeted behaviors of the superintendent for illustration of continuous improvement evidence in specific standards.
After reviewing the indicators describing current superintendent behaviors/practices from the Superintendent Leadership Plan, board members then provide their feedback on the Summative Document. Cells for each of the seven standards and the four performance levels (Exemplary, Accomplished, Developing and Growth Required) are included. This document serves as a cumulative document where the perceptions of all board members can be compiled prior to meeting with the superintendent in order to compare perceptions, identify areas of emphasis for the Superintendent Growth Plan, and serve as the basis for the Superintendent Summative Evaluation. The board can choose to use the cumulative board member perceptions as the basis for a narrative to be released to the media and community or use the document itself, depending on local preference. The superintendent also can use this document as a platform to record evidences of activities related to identified areas of the Superintendent Professional Growth Plan throughout the year by standard (electronically, if desired).
Superintendent Professional Growth and Effectiveness System (SPGES) Rubric for a locally-developed system
This rubric represents the approved requirements for the creation of a locally-developed superintendent professional growth and effectiveness system should a local board choose to develop its own system. The resulting system must be aligned and equivalent to the system developed by the Next-Generation Superintendent Effectiveness System Steering Committee (NxGSESSC). Approval of a locally-developed system by the Kentucky Department of Education is required prior to its use.