The Early Childhood Resources page includes resources for families and educators of
children ages birth to five. Some topics of interest include growth and development of
infants, toddlers and preschoolers; understanding and working with
children with disabilities; social/emotional growth; parenting skills; school readiness; multiculturalism and diversity; and brain development.
Resources for Families
- Children's Defense Fund - The Children's Foundation (CF), a private national educational non-profit organization strives to improve the lives of children and those who care for them. Our mission is to provide a voice for caregivers, children and their families on issues of critical concern.
- Division of Early Childhood (DEC) - The Division for Early Childhood promotes policies and advances evidence-based practices that support families and enhance the optimal development of young children who have or are at risk for developmental delays and disabilities.
- Families USA - Families USA works to improve the health and health care of our nation’s families.
- First Steps - First Steps is a statewide early intervention system that provides services to children with developmental disabilities from birth to age 3 and their families.
- HANDS - HANDS is a voluntary intensive home visitation program for first-time parents that provides services from the prenatal period to the child's third birthday.
- Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services - CHFS provides many services for Kentucky families.
- Kentucky Parent Resource Center - The mission of KY-SPIN, Inc. is to link families and individuals with disabilities to resources that will enable them to live productive, fulfilling lives.
- Kids Now Early Childhood Resources for Families - As a child’s first and most important teacher, you play a major role in giving your child the greatest opportunity to succeed. KIDS NOW is committed to providing families with the information and tools they need to help their child be their best.
- National Center for Family Literacy - NCFL works to eradicate poverty through education solutions for families.
- Vroom - Give your child a great start in life today and an even better future. Vroom tips add learning to mealtime, bathtime, bedtime, or anytime.
- Zero to Three - Zero to Three helps to ensure that all babies and toddlers have a strong start in life.
Resources for Schools and Districts
- Building a Strong Foundation for School Success
includes the following: Kentucky Early Childhood Standards which
describes what children should know and be able to do; the Kentucky
Early Childhood Continuous Assessment Guide which outlines how to
appropriately measure a child's progress on the Early Childhood
Standards; the Kentucky Early Childhood Quality Self-Study a tool to
provide direction for program improvement; and Field Guides which are a
practical supplement to the Early Childhood Standards.
- Early Childhood and Parenting Collaborative ECAP/ITG's staff consists of experienced writers and editors, Web designers and computer support personnel, and librarians with years of experience in responding to content-specific questions, preparing publications, providing training and presentations, and building Web sites on early education, child development, and parenting.
- Environmental Rating Scales Institute
- The Prichard Committee - The Prichard Committee’s Groundswell Initiative, a partnership effort designed to build and sustain engagement support and resources for Kentucky Families.
- KET’S Early Childhood Education Professional Development Workshops: KET is pleased to offer a selection of free, for-credit workshops for early care and education professionals. The workshops aim to increase early childhood educator effectiveness and family engagement to help improve children’s school readiness in science, math, social studies, literacy, health, and the arts. Each of these workshops are available to early childhood educators statewide with a focus on child care centers serving low-income families.
Please email the School Readiness branch if you have any questions.