ELA Intervention Resources for Elementary
- Apprenticeship in Literacy by Linda J. Dorn, Cathy French and Tammy Jones - A guide for K–3 teachers who are developing a reading and writing program for their students using an apprenticeship approach. The book includes language prompts, information on new common core standards, schedules for implementing a workshop framework, suggestions for incorporating informational texts, and a strong emphasis on the importance of the writing process.
- Assessing Writers by Carl Anderson - It “offers smart, ready-to-use ideas for assessment” including “what you need to know about students to assess them as writers, how to uncover and make sense of this information, how to make an individualized plan for each student, how to use the plans when you confer and how to structure units of study to meet classroom-wide needs.”
- How Very Young Children Explore Writing by Marie M. Clay - book for parents and early childhood teachers that explores the writing attempts of preschool children.
- Interventions that Work by Linda J. Dorn and Carla Soffos
A resource that offers a fresh approach to preventing reading failure in the early grades and reversing reading failure in the upper grades.
- Pre-Referral Intervention Manual (3rd edition): The Most Common Learning and Behavior Problems Encountered in the Educational Environment by Stephen B. McCarney. Hawthorne Educational Services, Inc. - This book provides a wealth of intervention ideas based on the learning/behavior concerns for improvement. The table of contents organizes the student learning/behavior and provides twenty-six strategies to try with the student to assist with that specific learning/behavior.
- Projecting Possibilities for Writers by Matt Glover and Mary Alice Berry - A support for teachers to create a unit of study in writing workshop.
- Readers and Writers with a Difference by Lynn K. Rhodes and Curt Dudley-Marling - A holistic approach to teaching struggling readers and writers
- Research Base for Guided Reading as an Instructional Approach by Foutnas and Pinnell - A discussion of guided reading within a comprehensive literacy program with the research base for eight components of guided reading.
- Resources for Primary Writing, Units of Study for Primary Writing: A Yearlong Curriculum by Lucy Calkins - A yearlong writing curriculum with assessment rubrics and exact words of teaching.
- Scaffolding Young Writers A Writers’ Workshop Approach by Linda J. Dorn and Carla Soffos - A guide for implementing writers’ workshop in the primary grades.
- 6+1 Traits of Writing by Ruth Culham - A focus on each writing trait to address the needs of K – 2 teachers.
- Using Picture Books to Teach Writing with the Traits by Ruth Culham and Raymond Coutu - An annotated bibliography of more than 200 titles with teacher tested lessons.
- What a Writer Needs by Ralph Fletcher - Specific, practical strategies for challenging and extending student writing.
Web Based Resources
Building RtI Capacity - This website features RtI-related information and resources, including short podcasts and videos: professional development modules and presentations; and tools for conducting needs assessments, planning activities and professional development for students K-12 in reading, math and behavior. Florida Center for Reading Research- The website offers basic research on reading, reading growth, reading assessment and reading instruction and provides instructional materials for teachers in the five components of reading. Into the Book - A reading comprehension resource for K-4 students and teachers. The website focuses on eight research-based strategies: using prior knowledge, making connections, questioning, visualizing, inferring, summarizing, evaluating, and synthesizing. The Iris Center - Free online interactive resources that translate research about the education of students with disabilities into practice. Materials cover a wide variety of evidence based topics, including behavior, RtI, learning strategies, and progress monitoring. The Reading and Writing Project- This guide provides information about RtI and also offers an example of a sample RtI plan. An Appendix is also included with documents that you can use to help you develop and implement an RtI plan at your school. ReadWorks.org - ReadWorks.org is a non-profit organization that provides a free research based, and Common Core-aligned reading comprehension curriculum for grades K-6. There are over 1000 nonfiction passages for grades K-6 which can be searched by grade, skill/strategy, and keyword filters. What Works Clearinghouse - This website reviews the research on the different programs, products, practices, and policies in education so educators have the information they need to make evidence-based decisions.
Please contact email@example.com with any questions.