Field Trips and Medication Administration

Published: 11/16/2016 9:59 AM

Kentucky law (KRS 156.502 and KRS 158.838) only addresses the required provision of “health services” to students in the “school setting.” 

Federal law covers the health services requirement for school field trips that require out of state travel. A Kentucky nurse’s provision or delegation to a school employee of health services to students on out-of-state, school-sponsored field trips will be governed by the other state boards of nursing. This will include all the states along the travel route as well as the final destination of the field trip. For additional information,  you may contact Karen Erwin, the KDE School Nurse Consultant at


Information is also available from:

Kentucky Board of Nursing (KBN)
KBN Contact:
LaHoma Prather, MSN, RN
Phone: 502-429-3307


KBN Nurse Licensure Compact

KBN Nurse Licensure Compact Video

Verify a License in Another State:  NURSYS

Karen Erwin 
Office of Finance and Operations
Division of District Support
300 Sower Blvd., 4th Floor
Frankfort, KY 40601
(502) 564-5279
Fax (502) 564-6771