Candidates trained in Kentucky must:
- Complete an Educator Preparation Program approved by the EPSB;
- Complete an application and submit official transcripts of all graduate and undergraduate coursework;
- Have the Superintendent or Personnel Director verify full-time classroom teaching experience at the appropriate grade level(s) (Section 2 of application);
- Pass the appropriate assessments for EACH area of certification being sought and the Principles of Learning and Teaching test score for appropriate grade range.
- Submit verification of completion of teacher preparation program from the preparing college or university (Section 5 of application); and
- Make the appropriate payment through ePay online payment service for certification fees. Please note that any other forms of payment are not accepted and will be returned to the applicant.
If you did not complete an EPSB-approved Educator Preparation Program, please review information for Candidates Trained Outside of Kentucky.
Subsequent five-year renewals require:
- Completion of three (3) years of classroom teaching during the last five-year period of the certificate OR six (6) semester hours of additional graduate credit;
- The signature of the superintendent verifying your three (3) years of teaching experience OR an OFFICIAL transcript of the courses you have completed for renewal and the recommendation from the college of education official (if applicable); and
- Appropriate payment through ePay online payment service for certification fees. Please note that any other forms of payment are not accepted and will be returned to the applicant.
Educators may also complete Rank change and additional certifications as part of the renewal requirements.
After achieving NBCT you are eligible for rank change and/or addition of the National Board credential to your Kentucky teacher certification. Required application forms, document uploads, and fee payment are done through the EPSB Web Portal.
For initial NBCT, you must complete the following of the CA-1 application form:
- Section I, page 1, A and B only (check mark appropriate box for rank change or addition of certification)
- Section III, page 3 (answer all questions and sign and date on BOTH lines at the bottom)
- Note: Pages 2, 4, 5, and 6 do NOT need to be completed and uploaded
Maintenance of Certification:
Appropriate payment through ePay online payment service for certification fees. Please note that any other forms of payment are not accepted and will be returned to the applicant.
- Complete CA-2 renewal application and upload with copy of NB renewal notice to your EPSB account