KDE Hosts Civics Symposium
The Kentucky Department of Education will host the 2017 Kentucky Civics Symposium to promote best practices in civics education. This symposium will occur 9 a.m.-4 p.m. ET in three locations across the state:
- June 19 – Frankfort, Old Capitol Building and Kentucky Historical Society
- July 10 – Elizabethtown, Hardin County Schools Early College and Career Center
- July 14 – Ashland, Kentucky Educational Development Corporation
- July 27 - Murray, Murray State University
Join us as speakers provide educators with hands-on support in creating civics curricula with robust, relevant learning experiences for students to promote the "doing" of social studies through action civics.
- learn new social studies-related strategies that engage and motivate students;
- dig into effective strategies for improved student achievement; and
- gain a deeper understanding of civics best practices.
Information regarding the new citizenship test will be provided.
Kentucky Council for Social Studies (KCSS) Seeks Nominations for Outstanding Social Studies Teacher Award
KCSS is accepting nominations for Outstanding Social Studies Teacher. Administrators, parents, colleagues, students, former students, and community members are encouraged to nominate an Outstanding Social Studies Teacher. Please view the nomination packet
for more details and to nominate an educator. The deadline is September 1, 2017. Please direct any questions to KYSocialStudiesAwards@gmail.com