Before beginning the data request process, all requesters are expected to check public data repositories to see if the data may already be available.
- ED Data Express is an interactive site that provides the ability to access and explore state- and district-level education data provided by states to the U.S. Department of Education. The data can be downloaded into Excel or manipulated within the website. New!
- Kentucky School Report Card provides detailed information about each school and district, including test performance, teacher qualifications, student safety, awards, parent involvement and much more. (2017-2018 to most recent SY)
- Open House is a one-stop-shop for Kentucky’s public education data and offers downloadable data sets.
- Kentucky Center for Statistics (KYStats) provides a statewide longitudinal data system, responds to requests for data and information, and provides reports on a number of topical areas.
- National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) is the primary federal entity for collecting and analyzing education data. NCES provides numerous publications and statistics to serve the research, education and other interested communities.
Data Request and Approval Process
The KDE Online Data Request Form must be submitted for all internal and external requests that do or do not involve personally identifiable information. External data requests must be sponsored by a KDE associate commissioner.
KDE will consider each request on a case by case basis and base a decision on factors including alignment of the research with the department's research plan and the availability of staff resources. The requestor must provide all information necessary to evaluate the request within 90 days of the request or it will be rejected as incomplete.
A fully executed memorandum of understanding (MOU) is required for requests that include confidential or personally identifiable information (PII). Downloadable KDE approved MOU templates are available below. The templates include provisions required by the Personal Information and Security Breach Investigation Procedures and Practices Act , KRS 61.931, 61.932 and 61.933, effective Jan. 1, 2015. If an MOU is required, the requestor must submit a completed MOU signed by the authorized agent within 90 days of the data request or the data request will be rejected as incomplete.
Upon notification that your data request has been approved and if an MOU is necessary, submit your proposed MOU to KDE via the KDE Data Request Mailbox.
KDE Data Sharing Agreement Templates
Refer to the FERPA Exceptions Summary help identify what FERPA exception applies to the purpose and data use that you plan to propose.