Principal Professional Growth and Effectiveness System (PPGES)
8/15/2014 12:59 PM
The Principal Professional Growth and Effectiveness System (PPGES) was developed in collaboration with Dr. James Stronge for collecting and presenting data to document performance based on well-defined job expectations. The uniform performance standards used in this system provide a balance between structure and flexibility and define common purposes and expectations, thereby guiding effective leadership. The performance standards also provide flexibility, encouraging creativity and individual principal initiative. The goal is to support the continuous growth and development of each principal by monitoring, analyzing, and applying pertinent data compiled within a system of meaningful feedback.
Purposes and Characteristics
The primary purposes of the Principal Professional Growth and Effectiveness System are to:
- optimize student learning and growth;
- contribute to successful achievement of the goals and objectives defined in the vision, mission, and goals of the school district;
- provide a basis for leadership improvement through productive principal performance appraisal and professional growth;
- and encourage collaboration between the principal and superintendent, and promote self-growth, leadership effectiveness, and improvement of overall job performance.
This Growth and Effectiveness System includes the following distinguishing characteristics:
- benchmark behaviors to support each of the principal performance standards;
- a focus on the relationship between principal performance and improved student learning and growth;
- the use of multiple data sources for documenting performance, including opportunities for principals to present evidence of their own performance as well as student growth;
- a procedure for conducting performance reviews that stresses accountability, promotes professional improvement, and increases principals’ involvement in the evaluation process; and
- a support system for providing assistance when needed.