This document is based on the LinguaFolio Can Do statements and is comprised of:
is a local decision. Since the Kentucky Board of Education adopts standards for
minimum graduation requirements, districts define expectations for electives in
programs valued by Kentucky Department of Education. The document that follows
describe the competencies that support quality programs for World Languages,
including American Sign Language and Classical Languages.
The Kentucky standard for World Language Proficiency
- One standard,
- six core competencies--three linguistic and three intercultural,
- learner benchmarks for each competency,
- learning indicators for each benchmark, and
- sample learning targets for each learning indicator.
The document is based on the beliefs that:
- Everyone can learn a language, but everyone learns at a different pace, in different ways and for different purposes.
- Students need to take ownership of & responsibility for their own learning.
- Learning occurs when what is learned has meaning to the learner.
- Goal setting & self-assessment increase motivation and improve achievement.
- The standard, competencies, benchmarks, indicators and targets are meant to guide learning and should be shared with learners.
- Functional use of the language in appropriate intercultural contexts is the prime objective.
- A teacher’s role is to guide learning, provide language learning opportunities & resources and enable learners to set goals and know if they’ve met them.
- Assessment for learning and of language learning should be designed so that the learner can show s/he demonstrates the benchmark/target.
- Credit should be based on performance and awarded when the targeted proficiency or benchmark is met.
Download the Kentucky Standard for World Language Proficiency document here:
The complete Kentucky standard for World Language Proficiency document with narrative, language and intercultural competencies
The complete Kentucky standard for World Language Proficiency language competencies only
The complete Kentucky standard for World Language Proficiency intercultural competencies only
The Complete Kentucky standard for World Language Proficiency narrative only
The Benchmark Grids for Language and Intercultural Competencies