2018-2019 Through Course Task (TCT) Expectations
Over the past two years, each district was requested to submit samples of student work for through course tasks (TCTs). These submissions were used to create annotated student work samples to support teacher learning regarding grade band expectations for the cross-cutting concepts and science and engineering practices.
Due to the high number of work samples submitted, the Kentucky Department of Education (KDE) will shift its focus from that of collection to curation and support. As a result, no student work samples from TCTs will be collected during the 2018-2019 school year.
TCTs are a vital component for a fully functioning and comprehensive science assessment system. To continue to improve high-quality teaching and learning in science, time should be dedicated to not only refining and reflecting on the past use of TCTs, but also to continuing to prepare students for the demands of 3-dimensional science assessments. TCTs are in the process of being moved to a site that allows for ease of access and use. The updated TCTs will be found on this webpage.
To assist schools and districts, the KDE also is developing professional learning modules to support:
- the implementation of the TCTs; and,
- the review and use of student work.
Once these professional learning modules are finalized, information will be shared through the Commissioner’s Monday Message and other avenues.
Through Course Task Bank
The TCT Database is populated with TCTs available across grade levels and addressing the science and engineering processes as well as the crosscutting concepts. As TCTs are added to the database, they will be removed from the previously used SharePoint site.
- In order to search for TCTs matching your needs, use the drop-down boxes to filter TCTs.
- You will see a link to the full task materials on the left side of the results returned.
- As the task bank is populated, more tasks will be made available in the coming weeks.
- Each TCT document is protected by a Creative Commons License.
- Users of TCTs may copy and redistribute materials provided users give credit using the link to the creative commons license.
- Users may NOT use the material for any commercial purposes.
- Users may not remix, transform, or build upon the TCT and distribute for use.
Please note that TCT Bank is not viewable using Internet Explorer. Please use another browser to access the TCT Bank.
Office of Teaching and Learning
300 Sower Blvd., 5th Floor
Frankfort, KY 40601
Fax (502) 564-9848