(a) At the request of a local board of education or a school council, a local school district superintendent shall request that the Kentucky Board of Education waive any administrative regulation promulgated by that board. Beginning in the 1996-97 school year, a request for waiver of any administrative regulation shall be submitted to the Kentucky Board of Education in writing with appropriate justification for the waiver. The Kentucky Board of Education may approve the request when the school district or school has demonstrated circumstances that may include but are not limited to the following:
- An alternative approach will achieve the same result required by the administrative regulation;
- Implementation of the administrative regulation will cause a hardship on the school district or school or jeopardize the continuation or development of programs; or
- There is a finding of good cause for the waiver.
(b) The following shall not be subject to waiver:
- Administrative regulations relating to health and safety;
- Administrative regulations relating to civil rights;
- Administrative regulations required by federal law; and
- Administrative regulations promulgated in accordance with KRS 158.6451, 158.6453, 158.6455, 158.685, and this section, relating to measurement of performance outcomes and determination of successful districts or schools, except upon issues relating to the grade configuration of schools.
(c) Any waiver granted under this subsection shall be subject to revocation upon a determination by the Kentucky Board of Education that the school district or school holding the waiver has subsequently failed to meet the intent of the waiver.