Mandated by 20 U.S.C. 6573, the charge of the Committee is to review and comment on the rules, regulations, and policies related to the Kentucky Department of Education's administration of Title I programs under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965, as amended by the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA).
ESSA requires that the Committee include the following:
- A majority of members from local educational agencies;
- Administrators, including administrators of programs described in other parts of this title;
- Teachers from traditional public schools and charter schools (if any) as well as career and technical educators;
- Local school board members;
- Representatives of private school children;
- Specialized instructional support personnel and paraprofessionals;
- Representatives of authorized public chartering agencies (if any); and
- Charter school leaders (if any).
The Committee meets as needed at the discretion of the Department of Education.