What is National Board Certification?
The National Board for Professional Teaching Standards
was established in 1987 as the teaching profession’s vehicle for
defining and recognizing accomplished teaching. National Board
Certification, which is built upon National Board Standards and the National Board’s Five Core Propositions,
is the profession’s mark of accomplished teaching. To date, more than
112,000 teachers in all 50 states and the District of Columbia have
achieved National Board Certification.
Why become National Board certified?
“Recognized as the gold standard in teacher certification, the National Board believes higher standards for teachers means better learning for students” (NBPTS webpage
shows that the students of Board-certified teachers learn more than students in other classrooms, which is why many states and districts, including Kentucky, offer incentives for teachers to pursue Board certification.
National Board certification in Kentucky
In July, 2000, the Kentucky General Assembly established in KRS 161.131
a goal that by the year 2020, every public school in Kentucky would have at least one National Board certified teacher. The goal was based upon the General Assembly’s findings that:
- Student achievement is directly related to a teacher’s ability to nurture learning
- All students are entitled to have teachers who know the subjects they teach and who demonstrate skill to manage and monitor student learning
- Teachers need support and opportunity to develop higher-level skills throughout their careers
- National Board certification is based upon high and rigorous standards and provides a process of development and assessment of teachers’ knowledge, skill and ability
- And that teachers who successfully meet National Board certification requirements strengthen the teaching profession by mentoring new teachers, serving as role models and master teachers for teacher candidates, and assisting other teachers who seek National Board certification.
To date, 3,292 teachers in Kentucky have achieved National Board Certification.
Many of the 316 Kentucky teachers who earned National Board certification last year pose for a photo at a recognition ceremony at Kentucky State University in Frankfort. They are part of the second-largest class of National Board-certified teachers ever in Kentucky. Photo by Bobby Ellis, Feb. 20, 2018
Office of Teaching and Learning
Division of Next Generation Professionals
300 Sower Blvd., 5th Floor
Frankfort, Ky 40601
Fax (502) email@example.com