The A4 Model for Cultural Competence is a framework designed to provide individuals with the knowledge, skills, and attitudes to increase their effectiveness in relating across cultural differences in increasingly diverse domestic and international environments.
- Awareness (A1) –
- "Awareness of Self": What are my values, beliefs, norms, customs, traditions, styles, biases, stereotypes, and behaviors? Who am I?
- "Awareness of Others": What are others' values, beliefs, norms, customs, traditions, styles, biases, stereotypes, and behaviors?
Oct. 20-21, 2021: Education cooperative representatives gathered to participate in and provide feedback on the A1-Awareness module and resources. Cooperatives will host training(s) for district representatives to then share with their local school staff.
- Acknowledgement (A2) –
- How are my values, beliefs, norms, customs, traditions, styles, biases, stereotypes, and behaviors the same or different than others? How am I?
- Acceptance (A3) –
- Am I open to accepting and respecting differences? Why or why not? What are the benefits for me? What are the challenges for me?
- Can I avoid assigning judgements (e.g. better/worse, right/wrong) to cultural differences? Why or why not?
- Action (A4) –
- What adjustments, both in the way I think and behave, do I need to make in order to effectively operate in a different cultural context?